Details to know to forget about the Smart TV remote
That’s right, nowadays we don’t need the control of any smart TV since, with a simple application, we can do absolutely the same (even more) than with the controller itself. But of course, we must take into account certain details to choose the correct app for each situation:
- Operating system: depending on the operating system that our Smart TV has, we will have to install one or the other. Normally, the most standardized system is Android TV, present on the screens of manufacturers such as Sony, Xiaomi, Philips and some others. But of course, other manufacturers have their own systems like Samsung, with Tizen, or LG, with WebOS. This is a detail that is clearly reflected in the packaging or advertisements for the sale of smart televisions. But, if you still have doubts as to which system your current TV has, through the settings you will find what is known as “device information” where this will be reflected.
- Official apps: although there are other alternatives that we will now see, many manufacturers develop their own official apps to manage your screens. This information can be found when starting our TV for the first time, or in its own instruction manual.
- Smartphone: more than the model of our phone, we must take into account the operating system of this. Some apps are not compatible with iOS, the Apple phone system, and some are not on Android.
TVs and devices with Android TV
Now that you know the details to take into account before choosing one or another application to manage your television, let’s see the Different alternatives that you can have starting with those televisions and devices with Android TV.
Philips TV Remote 2.0 is the manufacturer’s official app for your screens. With it we will be able to control the channel change, the volume, the programmable buttons, start applications from the TV itself, easily enter texts or even operate the Ambilight system from Philips. This app is available both for devices with Android as with iOS.
In the case of Sony Smart TVs, we have the application of Video & TV SideView: Remote. An app with which we will perform any action as with the command itself and, in addition, we will have access to the My Library tab in which the different multimedia contents stored in the device are listed. It is important that both the phone and the TV are connected to the same Wi-Fi network as indicated by the manufacturer itself. In this case, we will only have official app for devices Android.
Panasonic displays also have their own app that the developers originally called Viera remote 2, although both in iOS like in Android also has the name of Panasonic TV Remote 2. This is perhaps one of the most complete official options in this entire list, since not only can we use it as a remote control with all its functions, but we will also have access to turn it into a GamePad, a keyboard, use the web browser, perform screen calibration tasks in a sub category, etc.
Hisense is another of the manufacturers that aims to develop their own apps for their televisions. RemoteNOW is your bet, that we can find both teams with Android how iOS. This, in addition to having the normal functions of a controller, will allow us to interact through voice commands (in some countries, not all), it shows a catalog of apps installed on the TV, it allows us to send the content from the mobile phone quickly and It will facilitate the input of text to interact with the screen. But, its main drawback is that it is only available for some models from 2018 onwards:
- Hisense Smart TV 2020: xxUxQF, xxA7xxxF and xxAE7xxxF
- Hisense Smart TV 2019: HxxOxx, HxxUxx, HxxB7xxx and HxxBE7xxx
- Hisense Smart TV 2018: HxxU9A, HxxU7A, HxxAE7, HxxAE6xxx and HxxA6xxx
Xiaomi has an app, called My Remote controller, that allows us to use our phone as a remote control for both their own televisions and their Android TV-based devices. This app works both for WiFi connection, as per infrared as long as our smartphone has this possibility. In addition to controlling the mentioned devices, you can also control other equipment like other screens from manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Sony and more, air conditioning, set top box, DVD player, projector, A / V receiver, camera and a long etcetera. What is your handicap? That we will only find it on devices with Android.
Amazon Fire TV Stick
On the other hand, if you have used a Amazon Fire TV Stick to turn any screen into a smart TV and unfortunately you have lost the controller, don’t worry because you can also use the smartphone in this case. The app you need is the one of Amazon Fire TV, available for both Android as for iOS. From it you will be able to do any of the functions of the remote control, even more.
Having already seen all the official applications for devices with Android TV, let’s see those that will serve as a universal remote control on our phone. Keep in mind that they will not only be useful for teams with the Google system, but we can also apply them to other systems like Samsung or LG, for example.
- Android TV Remote Control: This is the most popular option for devices with For televisions with Android TV since, according to Google, it is compatible with most Smart TVs on the market. Available for both phones Android as for iPhone.
- SURE Universal Remote: is another very popular application in the sector. The benefits of this is that it not only promises to work with the Most TVs with Android TV, Tizen and WebOS, but we can also handle a Apple TV, and other teams like air conditioners, decoders, etc.. Another interesting aspect is that, in addition to the connectivity Wifi, it also supports shipping infrared if our phone has this possibility. Once again, we will have it available both for Android how iOS.
LG Smart TV
Moving on to manufacturers that have their own operating systems, we have LG with WebOS. They have developed a proprietary application for their smart TVs by the name of LG TV Plus. This app allows us to enjoy all those functionalities that we had with the remote controller and, in addition, it facilitates the sending of content, such as photos and videos, from the phone to the screen to view them here.
This app has been available since 2014 and is compatible with a wide range of televisions from this manufacturer. Models that you can consult in the same descriptions of the before downloading the app both in Android like in iOS.
Samsung, on the other hand, has the Tizen and its official app Samsung Smart View Until now. The problem with this app is that it will stop providing service from October 5 of this year. Therefore, if you want to continue using your phone as a remote controller, you will have to download the app from SmartThings. The latter will also allow us to control different technological equipment from the same manufacturer. Both applications are available in both Android like in iOS.
Finally, if you have a smart TV thanks to the use of a Apple tv, also the possibility of managing it through your phone with its official app Apple TV Remote. Of course, as long as it is a iPhone. Remember that you can use any of the universal apps to control it from Android.