Smart TV box Facts and Questions All you need to know about A TV box
Have you got a TV box? Do you want to know what they are about? Well, this page will cover everything from what a TV box is, what a TV stick is and what to expect from these devices. You can download the Android-powered Setup PDF here.
If you ever wanted to know anything about a Smart TV box then this is the page for you. Don’t forget our main help page can be found here
What is a TV Box?
A TV box is Smart box that you are able to connect to the internet using wifi or an Ethernet port. You then connect the box to your TV using an HDMI cable. Most TV boxes
run on the Android® operating system. Yes, Android
is the most popular OS of choice, but with Windows TV boxes
and the Apple TV 4
and the Amazon Fire TV
, users are spoilt for choice. If you have a TV box, the must-have application is XBMC or Kodi as it is now called. You can download the latest version Of Kodi for your TV box here
. XBMC / Kodi allows you to stream all types of media with the use of 3rd party add-ons. When you use a TV box it turns your boring TV into a Smart TV. If you have a smart TV then a TV box will make it even smarter.
About a TV box “A TV box has many different names including OTT Box or streaming box, a Kodi TV box is sometimes referred to as STB (set top box or boxes). But the most common name by far is a smart TV box or TV stick because they are connected to any TV through the HDMI port, once connected to the internet they turn your TV into a super Smart TV. You do not need a satellite dish or an external aerial to use a TV box as it has an internet TV box, therefore, uses an internet connection and applications to stream TV and movies. They all can run on different operating systems such as Android®, Apple TVos, and Windows.
A TV stick will work in the same way as a TV box, however, the stick will plug into the back of your TV hiding it from sight. The only difference is a smart TV stick will have WiFi but not an internal Ethernet port. This little drawback can be overcome with the help of a USB to RJ45
adaptor. Also, have a check on our website for Dual boot TV stick with Windows and Android.
What is the best TV box or stick for me?
It all depends on what you would like to use it for is the answer! If you only want the bare basics you can pick a TV box up for under £49.99. But if you wanted something with a little more power then you are looking to spend around the £100 mark. There is a page with all the TV boxes sold by us to allow you to compare prices and specifications side by side.
What is Best Media player i.e XBMC / Kodi?
Kodi is one of the most powerful pieces of entertainment software around and lets users stream a range of content – whether, it’s from the web or local devices. This includes movies, TV, sports and games. XBMC / Kodi is an application that runs on most TV boxes and can provide limitless entertainment.
What content can I stream from Kodi / XBMC?
There is no list of content available in kodi as the user adds service add-ons that will, in turn, give access to different content. If you want a movie addon why not search Google for a good movie addon for kodi?
for third-party developer content.The same works for TV, sports and anything else you are looking for. If you are going to use Kodi to stream content you need to be aware that you own any copyright to the content streaming. If you use kodi you should strongly think about investing in a VPN
. With a VPN
you can keep your steaming habits away from prying eyes. Not even your Internet provider can see what you have been doing online with your TV box. Not only will it hide your browsing history but you will fully unlock your TV box, unlock geo-blocked content, unblock kodi sources and more.
What comes pre-installed on a TV box?
Below are some of the apps pre-installed on most TV boxes. You can find a host of apps installed on your TV box when you first receive it from us. We also have our own app store and you also have access to the Google Play store with over 1 million apps.EBox MC / Kodi 16.4.2 , Plex Client , YouTube, Twitch, TVPlayer, BBC iPlayer, Film On, ITV Hub, ToView Live TV, Netflix, Google Play Movies & TV, BBC iPlayer Kids, Spotify, Pandora, iHeartRadio, Hulu Plus, Crackle, File Manager HD, aCCleaner, IPVanish, Entertainmentbox® All in one Android App, Reboot Manager
What internet speed do I need to run a TV box?
A TV box relies on the internet so you need to have a good speed to enjoy HD content. For the best streaming quality, we recommend a minimum of 3mb and for HD content you will need a minimum of 5mb broadband speed.
What video formats do TV boxes support?
Most of the Android TV Boxes support MPEG1/2/4: Up to 1920*1080; H.264: Up to 1920*1080; VC-1/WMV; Up to 1920*1080; RealVideo 8/9/10; up to 1280*720, including dat, avi, mpg, mkv, rm, rmvb, ts, vob, m2ts, mp4 suffixes etc.
What is the best remote control or keyboard for a TV box?
When it comes to choosing the correct control for your TV box it all comes down to your personal preference. We have a detailed guide to help you decide what is the right remote control
Do I need to pay any TV subscription to use a TV box? Are there any extra costs involved?
With TV boxes you are using apps to stream content to your TV. Therefore you will not need to pay a subscription cost for the TV box. While there are some apps like Netflix
and Prime Instant Video
that require a subscription. There are also plenty of free alternatives.
Which TV box apps or add-ons should I download to watch?
If you are new to Smart TV boxes it can feel a little daunting trying to work out how to set it up. Don’t worry because each user would have been in your shoes at some point. We have put together a video walkthrough and setup guide for you to follow
Will a TV box or TV stick connect Wirelessly?
You can connect your box either via Ethernet or by WiFi.
Can I use a personal mobile hotspot on my TV box?
Yes, you can use your mobile data to run your TV box. With the help of 3G and 4G mobile data connections, you can connect your TV box up, and away you go.
Can I get children’s channels on a TV box?
With the use of apps, you can gain access to any content for children you require check out our full list of Apps available
Does a TV box still work if I take it on holiday and plug it into a different TV? Would I get UK TV channels over the internet?
Yes, you would, it would work anywhere in the world with an internet connection.
It says this TV box comes with Kodi already pre-loaded, will I still have to add on the app or download it from the internet?
No, it comes installed. You just enjoy it.
Do TV boxes work overseas?
Yes. Anywhere with an internet connection.
Is it possible to web surf using the TV Box?
Yes. All our TV boxes have built-in web browsers. You can use the web browser to download more applications for everyday browsing.
Why use a TV Box?
There is a lot of talk about which device is the best or most complete. There are devices that are better for games, others that are better, to watch shows, movies and other things. You may think that a console, a pc or a DVD player are better choices, however, it is highly recommended that you try a TV box in the first instance.
Can I have a TV Box and Sky box plugged into the same TV?
Yes, they are both HDMI. Select the HDMI input via your TV remote.
Does a TV box or stick have recent films on?
Yes, all new and old films are available, through the use of applications on the box.
How do I know if a TV box will work on my TV?
If your TV has an HDMI port it will function.
Is it legal to use a TV box?
Yes. We have closely looked into the law around streaming and you can find out how we came to the conclusion that using a TV box to stream is legal
Can you watch BBC and ITV on a TV Box?
Yes, all BBC
channels can be watched.
How can I use geo-locked apps?
You will need to install a VPN
What’s the Best VPN for Kodi? IPVanish
is considered the best VPN for Kodi. It Is fast and supported by Kodi VPN addons.
Smart TV box Facts This TV box FAQ’s page has all the most frequently asked questions we get asked, We will continue to update this page as new questions get asked. If you have an issue with your device this page will likely cover your issue.
Disable any internet blocker that your provider has put in place
Important please disable any internet blocker that your provider has put in place to keep you from visiting streaming sites, below is a guide for providers that block some sites.
- EE Broadband http://ee.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/my-digital-life/content-lock-and-orange-safeguard
- Talk Talk home safe, if your internet provider is TalkTalk you need to disable your Home Safe Internet security please see this link for more info http://www.talktalk.co.uk/security/faq/
- Virgin: internet virus safe If you have Virgin internet you will need to disable your virus Safe from your My Virgin Account or you will be limited to what you can view Click this link This is the link again: http://tinyurl.com/l7d6bqz
You can also call your provider to disable any restrictions in place.
- BT: parental control If you are going to use this device over Wi-Fi then you need to disable your BT parental control or you’re going to be limited as to what you can view. Click this link This is the link again: http://tinyurl.com/q7j6q6c
- Sky: Sky Shield If you have Sky you will need to disable your Sky Shield Click this link.
My TV box doesn’t turn on?
- Make sure the power plug is pushed into the device all the way and the other end is plugged into a wall unit that has power or does check using alternative power plug for the device.
My TV box is turned on but I can’t see anything on my TV?
- Make sure that the HDMI cable is plugged in all the way for both the device and your TV. Make sure your TV is on the correct source for the HDMI input that the Device is plugged into.
- This will show you a video to help you with any issues you could be having or how to maintain your TV box if its on Android 4.4. You should watch this Android 4.4 settings video at least once from HERE
The display on my screen is too big or too small?
- Click Settings > Click Display > Click Display size. Adjust until the screen fits your TV and then click back.
My TV box wifi isn’t working
- Click Settings > Click Network Connections > Click Wifi > Click on your Wifi network. Enter Password (Make sure the password is correct, Click symbols to add any symbols that may be in your password) If you have an MX2 then there is a fix if your wifi will not turn on. just watch this video http://tinyurl.com/mmto2jg
I am completely unfamiliar with the Android™ Operating system. Can you help?
- If you are completely unfamiliar with how to use the Operating system or how to use a certain feature please watch this video.
My TV box buffer a lot, how can I fix buffering
- Check your internet speed with www.speedtest.net. We recommend a stable internet speed of 5 MBPS or more for the best internet experience. The faster internet connection you have the faster your TV Show, Live Sports and HD Movies will load. If you have under 5Mbps you should consider upgrading your internet speed. Remember, each Add-ons is separately managed by a Third Party that is not affiliated with EntertainmentBox. There will be times when these Add-Ons do not operate as they should and you may experience downtime or slow rates which could cause buffering. When this does happen, we suggest looking at a new source or Add-On to correct the problem. This video post will show you a bit more on buffering.
How do I hook up my USB wireless keyboard or Air mouse to my TV box?
- Simply plug in the USB dongle that comes with your wireless USB keyboard or Air mouse. (look in the back of the keyboard) into one of the USB ports on the EBox. You do not need to reboot your Box. Your USB device should begin working once you have plugged in your USB device. Do check with keyboard or mouse are charged or batteries into it. Please check EntertainmentBox best Universal Wireless KEYBOARD or AIRMOUSE guide HERE.
Can I hook up my TV box to a home network or other Kodi devices such as an HTPC?
- Watch this video on how to connect up to your network HERE
My TV Box is running slow, how can I fix this?
- Sometimes the Cache in KODI/SPMC gets full. This can slow the performance of KODI/SPMC and cause buffering issues. You can fix this by following the instructions listed below. Click settings under Apps > Click Apps > Find KODI/SPMC and click on it > click Clear cache, wait for your cache to go get to 0. Restart KODI/SPMC and let it complete its first run. here is a video http://tinyurl.com/k4m26gw Remember, each Add-Ons is separately managed by a Third Party that is not affiliated with EntertainmentBox.
I clicked on a stream source to watch a movie or TV show. And I got a pop up that says “File not found” “Source is unavailable”
- Some stream sources are listed but do not work. This is not typical but it does happen in KODI/SPMC sometimes. Simply try another stream source and most likely it will work. If not simply try stream sources until one works. Remember, each Add-Ons is separately managed by a Third Party that is not affiliated with EntertainmentBox. There will be times when these Add-Ons do not operate as they should. You may experience downtime or slow rates which could cause buffering. When this does happen, we suggest looking at a new source or Add-On to correct the problem. Please check our Informational guide HERE.
When I try to find a TV Show, HD Movie or live sports stream I get an error that says “Network not available” “Script Error”
While most of the KODI / SPMC Add-ons are extremely stable and consistent in delivering streaming media to your TV box. Sometimes things happen and certain KODI / SPMC add-ons have issues. Sometimes certain KODI / SPMC add-ons are affected by server issues, internet issues or user overload. This is completely out of our control so you should try using another add-on. For time being that resolved by its provider. If you’re getting a script error on everything you try then your device could not be connected to the internet.
I’m having a hard time using the controller that came with my TV box. Is there anything else I can use to make navigating the EBox and Kodi easier?
- The controller that comes with your TV box is designed to perform the basic features. But it is not ideal for navigating the operating system or fully utilising KODI. We recommend using a Wireless USB keyboard with a Touchpad built in. The main model that we recommend using is the. Rii mini i12 Multifunction wireless keyboard or the S77 Pro Remote Keyboard and i8 Wireless Airmouse/Keyboard. These are the best for any device. These wireless USB keyboards can be bought with all our devices in combo deals or on their own, these are not the only USB device that can be used to navigate and use your EBox with. There are many options in USB controllers and almost all USB devices will work with the EBox.
How do I add more favourite’s to KODI / SPMC and access my favourite’s while using KODI / SPMC?
- When you find a TV series or HD movie that you want to save as a favourite. You need to click C on your USB wireless keyboard. Or Menu button on your stock controller. This will bring up the menu and you will be able to click on “Save as a Favourite.” To access your favourite’s you will need to click on the star icon at the bottom left side of the KODI/SPMC home screen. Simply click on the star icon and a menu will slide out from the right side of the screen. Scroll over to that menu and choose the favourite you wish to view.
Adjusting Display size for your TV –
Click settings > click display > click display position > press LEFT/UP/RIGHT/DOWN buttons to adjust the display to your TV > click back and then yes.This video will show you all the display settings for KODI/SPMC http://tinyurl.com/m5tyl8g
Adjusting Date & Time
Click settings > click date & time > click automatic date & time, now select your time zone. Your device is set to Europe/London and your clock will set the correct time if you connect your internet.
Customising your KODI/SPMC Homepage (Shortcuts) –
In KODI/SPMC scroll over to the system on the right > click settings > click Appearance > on the skin tab click settings to the right > click on add on shortcuts.There will be different areas to add different types of shortcuts (Video, Music, Programs). Click on 1-7 and choose the add-ons you wish to have a shortcut on your KODI/SPMC homepage.
Adding Favourites in KODI/SPMC. (For shows, seasons or movies that you want to be able to access quickly without searching for) –
Open the Add-on you are using to view the media, search for the media, click C on a keyboard or Menu on the controller, highlight “Add to Favourites” > click Left mouse button on the keyboard or OK on the controller. (If you add the main folder of a show as a favourite. It will bring you back to that folder when you select the favourite later. If you choose a season as a favourite it will bring you back to that season when you click on the favourite later. Please note that some add-ons only save favourite’s in that particular Add-on and not on the KODI/SPMC homepage.)this video will show you how to add favourites http://tinyurl.com/kq95cwu
Accessing Favourites on the KODI / SPMC homepage –
In KODI/SPMC you will see a star in the lower left-hand corner of the screen > click on the star. Your favourites will pop up on the right side of the screen > click on the favourite you wish to view.
Resetting KODI / SPMC
If for any reason KODI/SPMC is not working properly. Freezing or you are getting Script Errors please follow the steps below.On the home screen click settings > click Apps, Scroll down and click on KODI/SPMC> Click Clear data.
KODI/SPMC not fit to display
Please check help guide for it HERE