An all-in-one with Kodi
As we already mentioned in other articles, this app for our smart TV is really an all-in-one, since in it we can not only create a multimedia center to watch series and movies, but we can also install apps through Add-ons (extensions) to do a lot of cool stuff.
Therefore, we can add applications such as YouTube, Twitch or Google Drive, for example, to Kodi. You may be looking for a sense to do this, since you could do it from your own Smart TV. The advantage of this is that All-in-one that Kodi has, being able to install apps from the Android operating system and run them without leaving it. Even if it is not compatible with that “internal” playback, Kodi itself will force the opening of said app on the Smart TV.
Remember that for install these Add-ons you must follow the following steps:
- In the Kodi side menu, scroll down to the “Add-ons” section. In this new menu we will have access to all the information about these extensions.
- From the new sidebar you will have to go up to the icon of the open box. Then click on it.
- In the new menu that we have opened, we will have to select the “Search” option to, as its name suggests, open the Add-ons search engine.
- Write the name of YouTube and click on “Ok” so that Kodi will show you all the Add-ons related to your search.
- Select one of them, click on it to access it and then click on “Install” so that it becomes part of your installed Add-ons.
This is the procedure you must follow to install extensions of which you know the name. However, if you want to do some research for all the possible options that Kodi offers, You will have to:
- Inside the «Add-ons» menu instead of going up to the box icon you should go down to the «Download» section and click on it.
- Once here we are shown all the possible categories of these extensions. For example, click on “Video Add-ons” to learn about the alternatives for this topic.
In all this list we find Add-ons that will allow us enjoy video content in many ways: series, movies, TV shows, etc. Your use of each person is your sole responsibility. With this article we are not encouraging the use of those Kodi extensions that may violate the right to the image or piracy.
Customize the Kodi interface
Another of the immense possibilities we have in Kodi is to customize its interface based on our tastes with skins. Doing this is extremely simple and the steps to follow are practically identical to installing any Add-on:
- Access the “Add-ons” menu from the Kodi interface.
- Move the cursor along the sidebar until you reach the «Download» section and click on it.
- Now go to the “Appearance” section and, once here, select “Skin”. This will take you to the list of skins created to change the Kodi design.
- Select one of them and, within its options, you will be able to see through captures what will be the result of its design. If you like this, click on “Install”.
Adding any of these skins will will install various Add-ons on our smart TV. These will be responsible for modifying the appearance completely, adding widgets, new menus and various other actions.
The installation process can last several minutes, so do not despair if you see that it takes several minutes. When this process finishes, Kodi will tell us if we want to change the interface for the new installation. Click on “Ok” and enjoy the new aesthetic.
Use Kodi as an IPTV server
To be able to use IPTV channels from Kodi, in order to have the possibility of watching any channel in your living room, you will have to perform the following steps:
- In the Add-ons menu, go down to the «Download» section and click on it.
- Once you access this menu, you must enter the sub-menu “PVR Clients”.
- In this list that we have accessed we can see all the clients that allow us to view the IPTV channels. Our recommendation is that you use the «PVR IPTV Simple Client«
Now, once installed, we will have to configure it so that it has access to the list of IPTV channels. For this, we need the url of an IPTV M3U list. On the internet there are many of these lists, some legal and others not, so it is up to you to choose the one you need.
When you have this address, you will only have to add it to the configuration of this Add-on and, after clicking on “Ok” it will ask you to restart Kodi. When you reopen this application, if that list is operational, all the channels will appear in the TV section of the Kodi start menu.
Create multiple users on Kodi
If you are several people who are going to use Kodi at home, each of you may want to have the content organized in your own way. To do this, it is as simple as creating multiple user profiles on Kodi:
- Enter the menu settings (gear).
- Click on the «Profiles» section and then enter «Profiles» again.
- To create a new user you just have to click on «Add Profile» and configure this with the permissions, name or image that you prefer.
Something that can be useful to avoid confusion is forcing Kodi to display a profile selection screen every time it starts. You can do this in the “General” menu in the “Profiles” section.
Put Kodi in English
Theoretically, when installing Kodi, it should detect our language on the Smart TV and establish itself in English directly. But, if this process fails and you don't want to see its interface in English, you can change it in the following path:
- Enter the menu settings (gear).
- Access the «Interface» section and then enter the «Regional» sub menu.
- Here you can change the language to spanish or even the keyboard layout to QWERTY so that it has the letter Ñ.
These are the main tips and tricks what can you continue to get more out of Kodi on your Smart TV. We hope they help you to enjoy the use of this great application and its great possibilities much more. If you know of any other interesting functionality of this, do not hesitate to leave it in a comment so that we can all use it.