Table of Contents
- 1 “Whoops, something went wrong … You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off off any of these services and try again” (Well, something went wrong … It seems you are using an unlocker or proxy. Please, disable all similar services and try again). Learn how to get around this error and watch your favourite TV shows and movies.
- 1.1 How to fix Netflix access error through proxy
- 1.2 FAQ
- 1.2.1 1. Why is Netflix blocking VPN traffic?
- 1.2.2 2. Can a VPN improve broadcast quality?
- 1.2.3 3. Why is the error saying “proxy” and not about VPN?
- 1.2.4 4. Can proxies open access to Netflix?
- 1.2.5 5. Can a free VPN open access to Netflix?
- 1.2.6 6. How to watch Netflix at a hotel or on a trip?
- 1.2.7 Share this:
- 1.2.8 Like this:
“Whoops, something went wrong … You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off off any of these services and try again” (Well, something went wrong … It seems you are using an unlocker or proxy. Please, disable all similar services and try again). Learn how to get around this error and watch your favourite TV shows and movies.
Error accessing Netflix associated with the use of a proxy (aka Netflix Error M7111-5059) appears in very specific situations, but it does not make anyone any easier.
When you just want to watch Netflix via VPN, you may well encounter a black background and a message saying that access through a proxy is prohibited – you must admit that it’s much less pleasant that the screensavers of your favourite movies and TV shows that you dreamed of watching.
This means that your VPN cannot break through the advanced system of blocking VPN connections used by Netflix.
Do not worry – this problem has a simple solution! Next, we will tell you how to bypass this blocking of access to Netflix, explain why it exists in principle, and explain which VPN services are better to use for this purpose.
How to fix Netflix access error through proxy
An error accessing Netflix through a proxy appears whenever the service identifies you as a user trying to access its directories using a proxy or VPN. And here it is all about licensing agreements, according to which only content licensed for their countries is available to users.
Typically, an error accessing Netflix through a proxy appears if:
- your VPN is not able to bypass the Netflix access blocking system, or
- The VPN server you are connected to is blacklisted by Netflix and no longer works.
Frankly, this is a common, though not very scary, problem. Netflix is famous for sending blacklisted IP addresses of VPN services in full ranges, and regularly. Any VPN service may run into this problem.
“Oh, something went wrong … It seems you are using a proxy. Please turn off the proxy and try again. ”
However, one cannot fail to admit that some VPN services provide much more stable access to Netflix than others. And the next time you encounter this error, pay attention to the following VPN services, which are just great for viewing the content of this platform.
NordVPN is a top-class service, a great option for Netflix and just a favourite of the public. Here are the arguments in his favor:
- The service has proved that it provides access to at least 7 of the most popular Netflix content directories – we tested it ourselves. Of course, the ultra-popular Netflix USA content catalogue is also available, and we made sure of this using 5 different NordVPN servers located in the USA.
- Its server network is large enough not to be afraid of Netflix blacklists. We are talking about 5,600+ servers in 60 countries, hundreds and even thousands of which are in the most popular locations, moreover, the server network of the service is regularly growing, so you simply will not have a shortage of servers that can open access to Netflix.
- Native SmartPlay technology. With it, the NordVPN application automatically selects the server that is best suited for streaming. SmartPlay is activated whenever a VPN application receives a request from you to access content protected by access locks (for example, to regional Netflix directories). This function works without user intervention, so you don’t have to do anything yourself to go into the Netflix directory you need – the system will do everything for you.
ExpressVPN is another great option for anyone who would like to watch Netflix without a problem:
- The service provides access to the 6 largest Netflix catalogues, and our tests confirm this. Netflix USA, of course, is also on the list, and ExpressVPN has at least 2 servers (Dallas, Los Angeles) that are ideal for this.
- Amazingly high connection speeds. ExpressVPN servers provide the fastest connection possible, allowing you to watch Netflix content in high resolution and without buffering problems.
- Huge server network. ExpressVPN will give you access to more than 3,000 servers in 160 locations and 90+ countries. This is more than enough to find a server that can open access to the Netflix directory you need.
A reliable and field-proven VPN for Netflix is the best way to ensure free access to your favourite content from anywhere in the world. But remember, not a single VPN guarantees you 100% access to Netflix – including the best of the best.
You still see the error accessing Netflix through a proxy, although you use NordVPN or ExpressVPN?
If you are not lucky, then you will see how difficult it is to get rid of the error accessing Netflix through a proxy.
Even if you already use a premium VPN service (such as NordVPN or ExpressVPN) to access Netflix, you may still encounter this error.
It happens, albeit rarely. In this case, first of all, you will need to contact technical support for help.
In NordVPN and ExpressVPN have available 24/7 online chat with tech support where you get quick tips on how to open the access to Netflix (any other questions about VPN there meet not worse). At a minimum, if everything goes wrong, you will receive an official confirmation that the corresponding VPN service has problems accessing Netflix at the moment.
Another way around this error is to try to open Netflix on another device.
NordVPN supports up to 6 simultaneous connections, and this is more than enough to launch a VPN application on some other device without disconnecting your main computer, smartphone or tablet. The same can be said about ExpressVPN, where you can connect up to 5 devices at the same time.
If all else fails, then do not forget to ask the VPN for your money back (unless, of course, the service provides an appropriate guarantee).
Of course, NordVPN and ExpressVPN give such a guarantee – and for as long as 30 days, so that you can test them in practice, without risking anything. If you are unsatisfied with the quality of VPN services, you can get your money back and continue to search for the perfect VPN for Netflix – although, of course, now it will be harder for you to find something better.
Other VPN services capable of resolving this access error through proxy
So, you already personally know that there are no VPN services that provide access to Netflix anytime, anywhere.
Premium VPN services (such as NordVPN and ExpressVPN) have proven their capabilities, but our list does not end there. Here are some more worthy alternatives.
IPVanishcan offers you a special mode of operation for accessing various Netflix directories, a fairly large server network and applications with a convenient interface. Yes, it is inferior to NordVPN and ExpressVPN in speed and flexibility, but it is still an excellent option both in terms of connection speed and in terms of ease of use and quality of technical support.
Surfshark is another quality VPN for Netflix. Its server network is more modest (500+ servers in 80+ countries), which is why it took only 4th place in our VPN rating for Netflix, but some users may be interested in the ability to connect an unlimited number of devices to its servers.
1. Why is Netflix blocking VPN traffic?
In general, Netflix does not want you to be able to watch content that is not licensed for broadcast in your area.
Due to copyright and licensing issues, Netflix content catalogues vary from country to country. That is why many users are looking for a VPN for Netflix.
Netflix, of course, quickly realized how many users circumvented their locks, and took appropriate measures to avoid conflict with distributors and copyright holders. It is actively blocking VPNs and similar services.
2. Can a VPN improve broadcast quality?
Netflix catalogues for different regions can differ in the most significant way.
For example, the Netflix catalogue for the United States is the largest of all. The number of films and TV shows available in it may exceed the number of content available in smaller regions.
Also, certain movies and TV shows may appear in certain Netflix directories much earlier than in others. Some of them are available at all in only one directory!
Choosing the right VPN service, you can access your favourite directory in just a few seconds Netflix, even if you are physically located in a completely different country. So you can enjoy dozens or even hundreds of films and TV shows that without a VPN would not be available to you.
3. Why is the error saying “proxy” and not about VPN?
VPN services can come in handy for a variety of tasks, whether it is protecting online privacy or fighting Internet censorship. But, of course, bypassing geoblocks of streaming services is one of the main reasons for their popularity.
And when Netflix writes about “proxies”, then VPN services mean by default, you can not worry about it.
By the way, some services position themselves as solutions to bypass access blocking to Netflix but are not VPN services at the same time. As a rule, they cope with this task much worse than a VPN.
4. Can proxies open access to Netflix?
No. And if some service will succeed in such a subspecies, then it is far from a fact that it will be possible to repeat it.
The thing is this: about connections, the proxy services work the same as the VPNs – they change the IP and DNS of users. The difference is that proxy services do not encrypt user traffic.
As a result, for advanced traffic analysis systems (which is what Netflix uses) it is easy to recognize and block proxy users.
Unlike proxies, the fact of using a VPN service is more difficult to identify, and therefore these services are much better at bypassing access blocking by geography. Also, your traffic will be protected by encryption, and this is only a plus in itself.
5. Can a free VPN open access to Netflix?
Unfortunately no. And we advise you to stay away from free VPN services.
In addition to thousands of servers, special features for working with streaming content and quality technical support, your VPN for Netflix must meet several important criteria. Of course, free VPN services are an attractive option for obvious reasons, but they are not able to provide you with high-quality services. Many of them do not even pull in “average”, or even “low” quality!
And if by some miracle you manage to access Netflix using a free VPN, then it’s far from the fact that connection problems will not start in a few minutes.
And we would advise you to use reliable VPNs for Netflix so as not to waste your time. From free VPN services, you will have only a headache.
6. How to watch Netflix at a hotel or on a trip?
Watching shows from Netflix’s favourite directories is easy, wherever you are. The main thing – do not forget to bring along a high-quality VPN.
We recommend that you download, install, and test your VPN before you travel. Next, just launch the application and select a server in the appropriate country to access its Netflix directory.
That’s all – so you will discover free access to Netflix from a hotel, cafe, airport and any other place.
Remember that you can watch Netflix bypass access locks on several devices at once if your VPN supports several devices connected simultaneously.