Table of Contents
Why should you use gaming headphones?
These types of hearing aids have a number of advantage when playing that normal headphones do not have or do not perform in the best way. What are the advantages of using this type of equipment? Well, you will find several:
- In most situations they offer a greater insulation capacity than ordinary headphones. Thus, by using them, you will have a much more immersive experience.
- Many times have 5.1 or 7.1 sound, which further helps the previous section and can be an advantage in competitive games.
- They integrate a microphone, which allows us to communicate with the rest of the players if we are in an online game.
- Some models are accompanied by a software like the one that can configure different aspects that improve the gaming experience.
As you can imagine, not everything is advantages in this type of equipment, so you may also find some drawbacks when using them:
- These headphones usually have a higher price than others for its features and design.
- If you prefer wireless headphones you will have options within the catalog but, depending on the model and the work that the brand has done with connectivity, you may notice delay in audio. A rather negative point if you like to play shooters online.
Having seen the positive and negative points of these equipment for gamers, it is time to talk about which are the different models that we can consider when buying them.
Types of gaming headphones
When you search for this kind of hearing aids online or in physical stores, you will generally find two different types: the headphones in ear or those with diadem.
Enter to discuss whether helmets in ear They may or may not be considered suitable headphones to play is something that we do not want to do but, in my personal opinion, I think that: they are not such ergonomic equipment, they do not offer the same feeling of immersion or, of course, the same degree of soundproofing. For these reasons, next, I focus on describing the different models that you are going to find of the headset type of headband.
For its part, within the headset headbandWe are going to find two classes that are fundamentally differentiated by the type of sound cancellation they use: active cancellation or passive. The difference between one and the other is easy to explain and, as you can imagine, each one has its advantages and disadvantages:
- Active sound-canceling headphones: This type of cancellation isolates us more from external noise by processing said noise as we already explained in the article on the best headphones with noise cancellation. By listening to fewer sounds from outside, we can focus more on the game and, therefore, get to capture details that could be a competitive advantage. An example might be being able to hear an enemy’s footsteps before you get to see him in a game like Call of duty or Fortnite, for example. Of course, this greater cancellation causes details such as the weight or the price of the headphones to increase.
- Passive sound-canceling headphones: In this case, the isolation from external noise is less and, therefore, we will hear part of what can happen around us. The details that we can hear about the game will be less and the immersion will also decrease. On the contrary, the fidelity of the sound will increase and the weight and price of this type of hearing aid will be less. In addition, these produce less hearing fatigue if we are going to do prolonged periods playing.
How to choose good gaming headphones?
Known the types of gaming headsets and the advantages and disadvantages they entail, it is our turn to comment on the different elements that must be taken into account to choose the best option for you:
- Cable or wireless: As we have already mentioned, the presence of cable or not is something that will depend on your tastes and the type of games you are going to dedicate these headphones to. On the one hand you have the comfort of movement that bluetooth headphones give you but, on the other hand, the speed of response that allows you to reach the presence of the cable is key on some occasions.
- Autonomy: If you opt for the wireless option, another fundamental detail that you should pay attention to is the number of hours you can use them before the battery runs out. In addition, it is also essential that you know the time it takes to perform a partial or full charge.
- Weight: Gaming headphones tend to be heavier the higher the technology they incorporate. If you are going to play during long sessions, you should keep this feature in mind so that they do not end up bothering you wearing them during all that time.
- With or without microphone: This section has an easy choice. If you like to play online against other users, you should opt for the one that includes a microphone because it is more than likely that you will end up using it. However, if you prefer other games in which you simply need headphones to listen to the story, you can do without this element.
- Design: Something you can see at a glance is that most gaming equipment has a more “aggressive” aesthetic. If you only want headphones to play, this section may be secondary. On the other hand, if you want them for other types of situations, you should choose those with a more sober design if the aesthetics can come to mind.
- Audio adjustment knob: some models incorporate a “controller” to access certain audio characteristics such as: microphone activation, noise cancellation, selection of surround sound modes or the volume itself. If you want quick access to these controls to avoid having to access the sound settings, this command is very useful.
These are all the details that you should take into account when choosing this type of headset. Now you must analyze well the use that you are going to give it since, as we have explained, each feature carries its positive points and other not so good details.
I already have good headphones, what can I do?
If you have already made a significant investment in other types of headphones but want to use them to play games, the fundamental element that you will surely miss is the presence of a microphone.
To solve this section you have two options: buy an external microphone, or there is an accessory that can be attached to any earpiece so that it has a microphone. Perhaps this last option will not have the sound quality, but it is an interesting option and one that can save us from a problem.