How to sideload Apps

Home Forums Other TV Boxes or Products Amazon Fire 4K How to sideload Apps

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  dfh101 5 months ago.

• Creator

Guide Sideload apps Fire TV USB Drive kodi or any other Apps

The addition of the free file browser, Total Commander, to the official Fire TV appstore now makes it possible to sideload apps like Kodi onto the Fire TV without the need to use ADB and a PC. As long as you can load a USB drive with an APK file, you can sideload it onto the Fire TV without any outside connection or utility.

This method uses an app called Total Commander (installable directly from the Fire TV Appstore) to install APK files stored on a USB drive. This method works for the 1st-gen and 2nd-gen Fire TV, but does not work for the Fire TV Stick because it does not have a standard USB port. You only need a computer to transfer the APK files you want installed onto the USB drive. Then you can do everything else directly on the Fire TV without the need of a computer or ADB. This method is ideal if you want to install many APKs at once or very large APKs since you don’t have to wait for each one to be transferred to the Fire TV.

How to Sideload apps Fire TV USB Drive

• Transfer the APK you want to sideload onto a USB drive. The USB drive must be using the FAT32 file system. If you are installing Kodi, download the Android ARM version from here.
    • Plug the USB drive into the USB port on the back of the Fire TV.

Enable apps from Unknown Sources

• From the Fire TV or Fire TV Stick’s home screen, Settings→System→Developer Options→Then select “Apps from Unknown Sources” to turn the option to “ON”→ Click OK” on the popup message which appears.

• Install Total Commander for free from the Amazon Appstore. You can either search for it using the Fire TV’s search, or select to send it to your Fire TV using Amazon’s website.
    • Launch Total Commander once it’s installed and select the USB option in the list of directories.
    • Select the APK file you want to sideload from the list of files on your USB drive.
    • Select “Install”.
    • Select “Install” again.
    • The app is now installed. Select Done to finish or Open to open the app.

EBox - The name you can trust.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author

Many Thanks, used the guide today to install apps to a fire tv 4k.

Have done hundreds of droidboxes, this was the first amazon box /stick I have set up.

Kodi worked good, but most of the standalone movie / tv apps are unusable like showbox, cartoonhd, mega hd etc as the curser wont move round the screen with the standard remote, left right up and down functions just do not work.

Tried it with a s77 remote and it seemed to work on some functions(mouse movement on screen) and not on others(some button selections) but far from the usability of a droidbox. Tried the amazon fire tv app on my phone as well, not any better.

I had heard people raving about how amazing the amazon products where, but if this is the best that can be acheived then I could never recommend them.

Have I missed something or is there a controller solution for these products to make them usable like a droidbox.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Direct delivery Free in the UK
  • Same Day Shipping on orders before 2pm
  • International Shipping in 3 days
  • Warranty Full one year
  • 30 day returns policy
  • Twitter feed @droidsticks
  • Checkout View your basket
Best smart kodi android boxes UK
Best smart tv box, kodi android boxes UK
Android TV Box Buyers Guide