With the big growth in the electric car segment, it was only a matter of time before the big delivery companies also invested in this new segment. Although Tesla clearly dominates the electric car market for the general consumer, the same seems to be far from happening in this new segment of delivery vans.
Elon Musk’s company clearly missed a golden opportunity to dominate a new segment, as Amazon has already introduced its new electric van manufactured by Tesla’s rival, Rivian. After conducting a $ 700 million investment round led by Amazon, Rivian eventually confirmed that it would manufacture the official electric van from today’s largest online store.
Now, during the official presentation of the electric van, Amazon has confirmed that it will buy at least 100,000 vans from Rivian, which corresponds to an investment of more than 3 billion euros. Considering that Rivian is still a company startup, this partnership can shape your future.
Highlights of the Amazon electric van
Unfortunately, details about its specifications have not been revealed, such as autonomy. But, Amazon has revealed a list of features that were created exclusively with its employees in mind and the entire process of making home deliveries.
- Complete sensor kit to ensure full assistance when driving on the highway and city
- Great for breezes to dramatically increase driver visibility
- Several exterior cameras connected to a monitor inside the cab to ensure a 360 ° view of the van’s exterior
- Alexa integration for access hands-free route information and weather and traffic updates
- Reinforced driver’s door for increased safety
- Cab with ample free space to increase comfort and facilitate all necessary operations
- Extra bright stop lights to facilitate visibility of the van in case of braking
It was not revealed what the price of the electric van from Amazon was, but the company confirmed that they expect to have at least 10,000 vans on the road by 2020. The total order for 100,000 vans is expected to be on the roads by 2030.
EBox editors recommend: